Hi Tom,

I find that the best way to understand AuthSub is to go through the
authorization flow a few times. A good place to see this in action is
http://gdata-feedfetcher.appspot.com/ , sign in, click on a link under
"Feeds which require authorization" and observe the auth flow.

To start over with a clean slate, click the link "To erase your stored
tokens, click here"

Now for the details.

When you first visit the page which requires an auth token, there is
no auth token present, so the code generates a link to authorize this
app to access the desired resources.

After you click the "Grant Access" button on
https://www.google.com/accounts/AuthSubRequest...
you are taken back to the app, but the URL now has some addition
information: ...&token=CKasdk... Since the app sees the token in the
request URL, it does not need to generate the authorization link.

Documentation on AuthSub can be found here:
http://jscudder:6346/apis/accounts/docs/AuthSub.html#AuthProcess

Re. your assumptions on request routing:

When a request comes in for the app, the configuration in app.yaml is
checked first.

http://code.google.com/p/google-app-engine-samples/source/browse/trunk/gdata_feedfetcher/app.yaml

The first matching regular expression dictates which script is run or
which file is served. In this case, visiting anything beginning
with /... will cause feedfetcher.py to run.

http://code.google.com/p/google-app-engine-samples/source/browse/trunk/gdata_feedfetcher/feedfetcher.py

In feedfetcher.py, the statment webapp.WSGIApplication([('/',
Fetcher),...]) sets request routing rules within this script and
directs the request to the desired RequestHandler class (in this case
Fetcher).

Since the browser is performing an HTTP GET, the get method in Fetcher
is invoked, and the get method examines the currently requested URL
for additional information. I hope this helps, I feel like this may be
a lot :)

Happy coding,

Jeff