Hi Nora!

I would rather use a smtp-server on the internet. Using the gmail
smtp-server is broken at the moment AFAIK, but you can use any other
smtp-server that allows sending mails without using TLS.
You have to start the dev-server like this:

dev_appserver.py --smtp_host=smtp.example.com --smtp_port=25
--smtp_user=ajohnson --smtp_password=k1tt3ns myapp

More information can be found here:

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/thedevwebserver.html

If sending mail works with the smtp-server you specified when starting
dev_appserver, it will also work when your app is deployed. It will
automatically use Googles mail-infrastructure then.

Getting sendmail to work on Windows might be possible, but I can
imagine it will be quite hard.

Best Regards,

Jesaja Everling