hmm, I cant think of anything special that Google would need to do to
allow GAE developers to use Gadgets.

There is nothing stopping you making a gadget that talks to App
Engine, or indeed embedding a gadget in a AppEngine hosted webpage.

gadgets are estentially Javascript (and a bit of html/dhtml) - that
runs client side.

YouTube quick capture has nothing to do with AppEngine anyway. You
would need to find out from the YouTube people if you could make a
gadget from it. Or maybe reverse enginner the page
http://uk.youtube.com/my_videos_quick_capture
.. again nothing to do with AppEngine.

--
Barry