On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Paul Kinlan <paul.kin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I took a good long read of this issue, and I can honestly see why it has not
> been starred up anymore.
>
> 1) From my point of view, there are lots of other priorities thatI would
> like to see implemented before this, which looking at it, I can mostly
> program my way around.
> 2) You used a lot of big words
> 3) You went on for too long
> 4) You really didn't make a case for it that most people can understand in
> short enough time
> 5) Most apps don't need this especially when you look at the current
> datastore transaction isolation levels, something exists or it doesn't,
> something updates or it doesn't, and most things can be done on a single
> entity basis.

I actually didn't make a single comment under that issue!

Anyway, the problem is that if you have two entities that are not in a
child-parent relationship, then you can't have a transaction that
involves both.

For example, you can't have a transaction involving two users of your
app.  So if a user performs an action that affects (e.g., the stats
of) both, then you would have a problem in making sure that the stats
are updated for both.

This is a very fundamental flaw.  I suspect that most GAE apps are
incorrect due to this problem.  Please vote up this issue.

I realize that the GAE team would rather have someone implement an
open source distributed transaction library for them.  But I doubt
this will happen any time soon.  And even if it did, I would have more
trust in an implementation by the GAE team anyway.

Amir

--
http://readmytweets.com
http://chatbotgame.com