Just because its one *sql query* - doesnt its one query against the
database. All the 'unions' just run each query seperately and the
combine the results.

The only difference with AppEngine you need to implement the 'combine'
or union in your application, rather than the database doing it for
you.

So while sqlite (or other SQL engines) may make it simple to
implement, its not going to be able to make it *that much* more
effienct that just running the queries seperatly.

If you want the source to be 'consise' you could implement a
function/class that does the seperate queries and combines them for
you. Much like the datastore API does for 'or' queries - in the
background really its a number of datastore queries.

--
Barry

- www.nearby.org.uk - www.geograph.org.uk -