On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 8:24 AM, newb <pcbeas...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering how a product like Digg works (even though they're not
> on GAE). They have counters for each of their articles which would
> have high write contention. But they somehow manage to keep their
> articles sorted by count as well. The model I'm shooting for has some
> similar characteristics.

I really don't think Digg would have very much write contention *per
story*. Popular stories getting thousands of diggs usually do so over
the course of a day or more, so it's really only a few writes per
minute. Now if they were doing a write  to a single object for every
single digg, that would be high write contention.

I'd suggest just implementing it the simplest way you can see, and try it.

Dave.