I should add that there will be a confirmation email sent in both use
cases that sends a key in a url. The user will then click that link to
actually complete the transaction (like user registration systems).

I'm thinking of making this a feature request. "GOOG: the application
server" has several advantages over traditional app servers, one of
them should be the ability to leverage gmail. (confirmation of source
of email from gmail, spam filter, hosting of smtp2web type service,
etc.) Anyone else interested in full gmail integration with their GAE
application? You can reply to me in private if you prefer.

Thanks,
Tim