Yes there is only one instance of the object in BigTable.

If a request calls put() on an object what happens is:

1) the object is created/updated in the Datastore
2) all the index tables are updated.
3) the put() returns

After the put call you know that a query for the object in the same
request handler will be retrieved correctly.

If another request handler does a query for the same kind it depends
when the query is executed in relation to the put() call.

before 1) you get the old version and the old index table
between 1 and 2) you get the new version and the old index table
(update), or not found (create)
after 2) you get the new version and the new index table

But if these requests come from a single user that does not do
simultanious requests this index-situation does not apply