Hi,

This is due to the fact that the url parameter for static_dir works
differently than that for static_files.  The static_dir regex is prefix only
with no groups:

>From static_dir description:
url

A URL prefix. This value uses regular expression syntax (and so regexp
special characters must be escaped), but it should not contain groupings.
All URLs that begin with this prefix are handled by this handler, using the
portion of the URL after the prefix as part of the file path.

And the description for static_files:

url

The URL pattern, as a regular expression. The expression can contain
groupings that can be referred to in the file path to the script with
regular expression back-references.

For example, /item-(.*?)/category-(.*) would match the URL
/item-127/category-fruit, and use 127 and fruit as the first and second
groupings.
-Marzia