I searched groups and help, but still couldn't figure something out
that may be misleading...

http://appengine.google.com/deployment/newdomain?app_id=XXX

So it informs me:
"Note: You must sign up for Google Apps to register this domain or
prove that you already own it."

1. Sign up for Google Apps to register this domain
2. Prove that you already own it

I would like to use option #2, to merely prove I own the domain.

Not sure how or where you do this, but my domain is already setup. I'm
sure many others as well, got your Windows PDC, logins, intranet,
everything said and done, Exchange in place, everyone using the
domain... but you got some worthless webhost in BFE displaying your
little external webpage.

Okay in other terms: No need at all for Google Apps, just want to have
the public side of the domain for the website point to a shiny new
Google App Engine application.

How do you do this? I'd assume the 'proof' would be in pointing
current domain registrar www to Google's server for your app or
something like that?