I'd suggest pushing the entire list of suggestions to the client when
they hit the page, then using something like:

http://wiki.github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous/autocompleter-local

The list of suggestions could either be static, or stored in the data
store.

We do this for www.fyood.com which has about 6K suggestions.

Adam