Hi Doc,

The fact that the app doesn't use Google Accounts may be relevant.  Are the
administrator accounts Google Accounts or Google Apps emails?

In order to sign in to your application as an administrator the type of
account much match the authentication type chosen when you configured your
app.  (See: http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/auth.html for more
details.)

-Marzia