On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 02:02, Elliott Rosenthal
<elliott.rosent...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the help so far, it really has been useful.
> If there any way you could give me a quick snippet of code to show me
> how to build a factory method?

Let's say we have a model that models a circle, and you were to
calculate the area of the circle in your __init__ method, we can use
the following as an alternative:

class Circle(db.Model):
  centre = db.GeoPtProperty()
  radius = db.IntegerProperty()
  area = db.FloatProperty()

  @staticmethod
  def build_circle(centre, radius):
    area = math.pi * radius * radius # example of the complex calculation
    return Circle(centre = centre, radius = radius, area = area)

So when you need a circle somewhere in you code, instead of creating
it like circle = Circle(centre, radius), you do it as: circle =
Circle.build_circle(centre, radius)

HTH

-- Joe