After a URL in the request log are the following fields (example):
200 1584ms 2571ms-cpu 4kb
Am I correct in believing these are: HTTP response code, real time,
"CPU time", and response size?

Now I get various orange and red warnings depending on the ms-cpu
value (almost always when I create an entity, and often just for
writing one - even simple ones).  But I haven't ever seen any increase
in my "High CPU Requests" on the quota page.  Is this normal?

I've read these pages, but I'm still not sure what's going on here.
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas.html#Resources
http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/quotas.html

The first page says "Datastore CPU time does not count towards the
high CPU threshold", but apparently it IS included in the value in the
request log where the warning comes from.  Is there a breakdown
anywhere of whether this time is in user CPU or DS CPU?

Also with the amount of CPU time reported in the request log, it seems
that even modest traffic will kill the CPU Time quota, as even the
most basic DS write operations with a handful of properties seem to
often take ~1000ms-cpu (even when the request itself takes less time).

I'm not even sure what questions to ask here, so if you can answer the
obvious unasked ones too please do so.  I'm rather confused by all
this, but am hoping it's more obvious than it seems right now...

Thank you.