On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 2:03 AM, arnie <parvez...@rediffmail.com> wrote:

> Using a wsgi application and without using javascript is it possible
> to calculate the latitude and longitude of a physical address using
> Google Maps API?

Of course.

> If yes then how?

See my code below.

> I have searched a lot but finds only javascript references.

That's because they're doing it from the browser.  You want to do it from
the server.

> My requirement is to fetch Latitude/Longitude values when the physical
> address information is being saved in
> datastore using a wsgi application

I'm doing the exact same thing.  Are you stealing my Million Dollar Idea?
:-)

> Any idea?

Here's how I do it:

def genGeocode(self):

      key=" Your Google Maps API Key goes here"
      url='
http://maps.google.com/maps/geo?q='+self.address+'&output=xml&key='+key
      result2 = urlfetch.fetch(url)
      dom2 = minidom.parseString(result2.content)
      geo_status =int(dom2.getElementsByTagName("code")
[0].childNodes[0].data)

      #check to see if google was able to find the coordinates for the
street address
      if geo_status == 200:
          coord = dom2.getElementsByTagName("coordinates")
[0].childNodes[0].data
          split_coord = coord.rsplit(",")

          longitude=(split_coord[0])
          latitude=(split_coord[1])
          self.geoPoint=latitude+""+longitude
          self.geoHash = Geohash((latitude, longitude))
          return 1

Any suggestion to improve my code are greatly appreciated.

--

Faber Fedor
Cloud Computing New Jersey