Sorry to come back on this..I guess I should have tried this before
replying previously..but, how can I get my sample app totally up to
date?

I checked out the patched version of django, but when I zip it up (to
replace the zipped django), it comes to nearly 4MB, which is over the
limit for GAE?

I (naively) and blindly then tried to add just the contrib/auth part
of the updated patched django, but that causes errors elsewhere (since
changes there seem to depend on changes elsewhere in the patched
django that the rest doesn't have).

Also, if I do manage to update the zipped django, is that all I need
to get up to date?

I initially tried to just change the models.py file for contrib/auth
as per the latest changes to the patched django repository, but I
still got the same errors about User not having the objects()
attribute..and trying to use the UserManager directly, I get errors
saying that User doesn't have attribute 'all()' . So that's why I
tried then to update the rest, figuring there are dependencies on
other updates..

Sorry, I know these issues are very newbish :( Thanks for any help,
again..