I use git for controlling my App Engine source code.  ( For example, I
released my early attempt at a blog over at http://github.com/DocSavage/bloog
)

When you deploy on App Engine, you can set the version ID of your
code.  I've created a shell script which automatically generates the
git version hash and puts it in the app.yaml "version" key/value.  App
Engine will let you use any alphanumeric string for versions, so git
hashes are OK.

So your team can use whatever source control system for the code (git
is great for distributed teams), and when you deploy, you have
multiple versions of your app in the cloud ready to run. Each
version's ID tells you the exact repository state.  The App Engine
server console lets you easily switch the app version used for your
main url, and it even lets you test each version separately through
longer urls at appspot.com.  The system is pretty nice.

-Bill