I personally see no reason why a smartphone would remain unsupported...
 you only need to write the site to cater for the phones limitations.

This appears straight forward to simply choosing a different style of
output,
 as long as  the smartphone is able to talk HTTP to the host and
GET/POST
 or use a RESTful service (the iPhone is an example RESTful device).

The only limitations I know for device access would be down to
connectivity
 and the limits of what you know about providing to the device.

just my 2 cents ...

Sincerely,
 Jeremy