Thanks! I have found my problem...

When I render the templates I first load the Template and then for
each page render I create a Context object and do:

self.response.out.write(templateObject.render(contextObject))

When I change this back to:

self.response.out.write(template.render(templatePath, contextVals))

it works perfectly. I wasn't aware of the difference except thought
that loading in the template object would be faster since it removes
repeated operations. Can I still use the template-object method and
includes together?

Thanks loads! At the very least I know the problem and can get it
working now. =)