You can also use app.yaml to protect resources.  For example:

- url: /.*/admin/.*
  script: main.py
  login: admin

- url: /.*
  script: main.py

That will cause a user to be authenticated as an app administrator
before viewing any URL containing the node 'admin.'  You can still
route the admin-ified urls with urls.py.