Hi,

Yes, the tree is indeed serialized for access. This would be a problem
with simultaneous score updates from many users.

Now, to improve the ranker, wouldn't it be better to use the same tree
structure(the N-ary tree used by ranker) for assigning the parent
entities for the nodes?
Say my score update would modify only the leaf node. So for this
update it would lock only the leaf node and its parent?

Regards,
Indraneel