I myself come from an ASP/PHP/ASP.NET C# background in web
development. I started learning Python for other reasons than web
development at first, but now it's my preferred language for web
development.
Coupled with Django, it's simply the fastest way I know to develop a
dynamic web site, and the best thing is that once you get around the
somewhat unique syntax, it makes more sense than any other language
too. At first I did start learning Ruby on Rails, but Python just felt
better for me.
Developing applications for Google App Engine in Python also feels
pretty natural (in some ways, it's very similar to Django, actually),
but it's a work in progress so I expect it to get even better with
time.
So yes, I definitely recommend you to spend the extra time and learn
Python, even if you decide to use the unannounced runtime in the
future.

Regards,
Andreas