Hi,

I want to build a GAE app that will have the following general
architecture:

Installed clients (mono on desktops and iphone) that will authenticate
and then get/put/delete user-specific data to the GAE app.  (The data
is not public, users should not be able to see each other's data.)
Then, GAE itself will host a website that will allow users to access
and do stuff with the data created by the clients.

I am trying to figure out how exactly the clients will connect to
GAE.  I read about the Authentication API and that sounds pretty much
like what I need.  But as far as the clients communicating with the
GAE app, I figure my choices are REST or a SOAP web-service.  I would
much prefer to go with REST but SOAP would also do.  So I've been
trying to figure out whether either of these are supported and how to
implement them, and the fragmented documentation out there is really
making me feel like a newbie (which I am.)

As for REST, I found this publicly available code:
http://github.com/fczuardi/gae-rest/tree/master
http://code.google.com/p/appengine-rest-server/

For SOAP, I found this blog post which seems to lay things out more or
less clearly:
http://www.ioncannon.net/web-services/180/soap-on-the-google-app-engine-platform/

I am still not quite sure if any of these approaches would do exactly
what I need, so in hoping that I would save myself a day or two of
research/trial-and-error I am posting here, and wondering if anyone
has already accomplished this (REST or SOAP to allow installed clients
to authenticate and then get/put/delete data particular to them.)

Thanks in advance,
Mike