If you have different behavior on dev_appserver and the production
server you should file a bug report in the issue list

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/list

At least dev_appserver should report the transaction problem the same
as production.
dev_appserver has code to check for multiple entity groups but it
might miss your situation.
(if you find the bug yourself, don't mention the solution in the issue
report, it won't be part of dev_appserver unless you sign an
agreement, then we have to patch dev_appserver ourself each time there
is a new version)