It didn't work for me, but gave me a clue.  As part of experiment, I
deleted the DEBUG=True line from settings.py, and the stack trace did
start appearing in the Console window.  True, it was complaining about
not having an error template, but it also showed me the actual cause
of the originating error.  Progress!

Back under the original, "correct" settings, I stepped through the
process of raising an error, and at line 131 in debug.py the system
raises an exception while raising an exception.  That's why I get the
silent 500 failure.  On almost anything: missing variable, undefined
member function, datastore put missing a required value, etc.  In some
circumstances it does, work though!

Any ideas as to how to get stack traces to show up reliably in the
browser, or even just print on the console?