I've noticed this too -- there seem to be more frequent reloads during
the (GMT) evening.

I add a message to the log the first time an instance is created (by
tracking a module-level variable) so it's easy to see the effect on
the ms-cpu figure. One thing I've noticed by the way is that it
*isn't* really unzipping that takes time, it's just loading django
that hurts. I've tried using an uncompressed django dir and the
figures are about the same.

What kind of slowdown are you seeing with appengine-patch btw? What's
the typical ms-cpu reading for those first requests? I'm using the
django helper and I'm logging 1500-1800 ms-cpu for each initial call.
This is enough to delay rendering but not enough to timeout a request,
which I guess is something.

Has anyone done any profiling on where the CPU is being spent when
django is loaded? Would it be possible to do some of the monkey
patching on a custom django before deployment (ie actually change the
django source files)?

cheers
Michael