I beleive that the standard edition (non-business) is free.

Here is a link: http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html

I don't believe that a cname would work because every app does not
have its own IP.  Since just creating a cname would not make any entry
in google "hosts" file it would just send you to the main site for the
IP address.

If you already have your own site you could setup a page with a frame
that loads your GAE site, or a meta redirect to it.  They may give you
appearance of what I think you wanted.

Doug