Thanks Bill.  This was very helpful.

I ran into a problem where I cannot use the remote api when I
authenticate using a hosted google account.  You have to use gmail.com
account.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Does this have something
to do with the AUTH_DOMAIN and USER_EMAIL environment variables?
Where can I get more information about what these are?

While trying to figure this out I noticed that the remote_api requires
administrator access even if your app.yaml has no login line.  Maybe
that's a good idea... but definitely a little counter intuitive.

Lenza
blog.lenza.org