Hi,

Yes, Google Apps accounts can be admins of an application.  However, it's
really only suggested that they are admins of an application where the
authentication option of an app is also set to Google Apps.

Generally, in order to sign in to an application as an admin, the type of
account must match the authentication setting for that app.  This is because
the app can only serve the authentication page that matches it's
authentication option.

We have an article on the subject which may be slightly more clear:
http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/auth.html

If it sounds confusing, that's because it is.  Especially because you can
have emails that are both Google Accounts and Google Apps accounts.  All I
can say on that is that we hope in the future we can make it less confusing
for all our users, but we aren't there yet.

-Marzia