The problem was that my first keyword-argument list was in Unicode.
Since StringProperty accepts Unicode, the second list was fine. I
needed to convert the first list to str before proceeding. Here is the
modified, working code:

                form_values = [str(i) for i in self.request.arguments()]
                form_response=[]
                for key in form_values:
                        form_response.append(self.request.get(key))
                data = dict(zip(form_values,form_response))

                user = User(**data)

Thank you for the clarification.
Emery