I think that I "solved" my own problem.  Using tcpmon I can see that
the urlfetch is taking 20 - 40 seconds to get data back.

The headers that do come back in the response seem to indicate that
the response was sent within a second of when I sent the message, so
maybe there is a latency issue or something...

Doug