Hi GAE team,

I'm writing to express frustration about the scheduled maintenances of
March 2 and March 9.  I'm using GAE to host several time-dependent
games being played by tens of thousands of people.  Having datastore
writes unavailable for 30 minutes during the peak traffic time is
frustrating and expensive.  The cost to my small business will be
significant.

I acknowledge that with a globally distributed service every hour of
the day is equally bad.  I also acknowledge that downtime is a
statistical inevitability. However I would like to believe that
*scheduled* downtime is not inevitable. There must be a way for a
company with Google's resources and talent to upgrade server hardware
without taking the entire system offline for up to 30 minutes.

As a customer who's investing considerably in this platform, I'd
appreciate some insight into the mechanics of these "scheduled
maintenance" decisions. How often can we expect these outages? If I
were a provider of a social service based around baseball, for
instance, what recourse would I have if Google decided to perform a
scheduled maintenance during the seventh game of the World Series?

Ben