arnie,
Specifically, if you want your users to use Google's account
credendials you can use the google.appengine.api module and check the
users class.

You can send non-logged in users to the Google Account login for your
application like this
users.create_login_url(self.request.uri))
This will create a cookie in the users' browser that will allow them
to stay logged in

Sow wrt your question, i am not sure that you need to store the users
session information in your datastore for this purpose.

This is all explained in the Getting Started guide:
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/gettingstarted/usingusers.html

Hope this helps.