Here's a short list of tweaks sitting on top of my mind:

* Memcache everything -- because retrieving an item in the datastore
can take time, cache it if you need to reuse at least twice. Also
cache rendered pages.

* Use a lighter and faster template engine than Django -- For sure,
Django is great and allow many things. But smaller apps use just a
fraction of the template engine functions. Simple string replacement
templates are usually enough to start with and without doubt,
outperforms Django rendering functions. Personally, I rely on Mako.

* Prefer built-in Python functions and if possible, functions written
in C -- for example, prefer the _map_ function over the _for_ loop.

There are of course many other tips available to optimize to your code
but right now, these three works great for me.