I can't comment as to the precise geographic distribution of apps and
appservers, but let me put it this way...

  (a) our datastore API offers transactions

  (b) a datastore transaction completes in roughly 50ms, sometimes less

  (c) when routing requests to applications we have no idea which
entity groups will be modified by the application when serving that
request. further, we don't ask for any hint or indication of this from
the application developer.

  (d) http://www.allthingsdistributed.com/2008/12/eventually_consistent.html

Jon