I don't know what you mean about "running a loop" of filter calls, but
something like Class.all().filter().filter()... is very efficient.  My
impression is that the GQL interpretation is slightly more expensive,
but that the difference is negligible.

Note that the call to the data store does not occur until you actually
issue the fetch or get ... and this is what's really expensive.