This is a very interesting thread. And yes, indeed, cluster stability
and uptime and transparency are all of the utmost importance to us
here on the App Engine team.

I also agree that a fundamental increase in transparency would serve
everyone's interests.

As far as I can tell, transparency through a crisis occurs in one of
three ways: (a) direct communication, (b) broadcasts of pr-approved
messages, and (c) raw data.

As an engineer, I like (c) more than (a) or (b). It's objective, and
it can be distributed more efficiently. It's more efficient than (b)
because we don't have to wordsmith it or get it reviewed and approved,
it just goes out immediately. It's more efficient than (a) because it
happens automatically; you don't take up the time of an engineer who
would otherwise be busy trying to solve the problem.

This is why our team has made it a priority to be very transparent
about real time and detailed performance data with our Status Site:
http://code.google.com/status/appengine. I encourage everyone who
cares about their application to spend a bit of time learning that
site. Make sure to click through to the detailed graphs as well.
Further, if there is more data you would like us to export, then let
us know. It is in everyone's best interests for us to export more raw
data.

It is my personal belief that by continuing to iterate and improve
upon our Status Site that we will achieve the fundamental increase in
transparency, as opposed to Daniel's proposal of dedicated hardware,
direct communication, and promises as to when problems will be fixed.
Although, Daniel does bring up the excellent point that there is not a
particularly efficient way for developers to report live production
problems other than this group. Any thoughts on systems that we should
look into here to make this more efficient?

Jon