If I start my GAE application on an appspot domain, say
andyspotofgold.appspot.com and then later decide that I'd like to have
it (also be) accessible via www.andyspotofgold.com, what do I have to
do?  (Assume that I can somehow get the rights to andyspotofgold.com.)

I'd guess that there are two alternatives, (1) getting the name
andyspotofgold.com through google apps and (2) registering it with
someone else, such as godaddy.  (I understand that I can't get
andyspotofgold.com to work with app engine.)

Note - I'm not interested in restricting users to those who are
associated with a google apps domain?

Where do I find instructions on these alternatives?

thanks,
-andy