App Engine.  Here is the situation:

I have a database with about about 50k rows of type A, and maybe 500k
rows of type B.

Type A contains:
  - ReferenceProperty (to type B)
  - DateTimeProperty
  - IntegerPropery
  - 3 x StringProperty (at most 5 bytes each)

I am performing the following query:

def myQuery():
   query = A.all().filter('intProperty', val).filter('date >=', date)
   itemAs = [itemA for itemA in query]
   itemBs = [itemA.typeB for itemA in itemAs]
   return itemBs

Even under no load, when retuning a modest number of elements, this
function takes so long!  For example, I'm looking at a log entry where
for 36 items the database took 0.4s to create the list of itemAs and
2.2s to create the list of itemB's.  Does this seem excessive?  What
can I do to speed this up?  I was planing on these databases to grow
10x in size (although the queries will return the same number of
items) so this is concerning.