Hi,

Something else has to be going on here, it works for me:

class TestModel(db.Model):
  mystring = db.StringProperty()

class TestPage(webapp.RequestHandler):
  def get(self):
    model = TestModel(key_name="test's", mystring="hello")
    model.put()

    retr = TestModel.get_by_key_name("test's")
    self.response.out.write(retr.mystring)

I'm seeing the expected result and the entity as normal in the dataviewer.

Perhaps you can provided some code?

-Marzia