Get your app started very quickly with this free code... for
membership capability

http://www.adrianremembersme.com/

Version 0.1.1 currently offers basic login, remember me functionality
( + photo upload for profile )

Attempting to follow and encode best practices for cookies, security,
etc. Let's stop re-inventing the wheel ;)

On the roadmap -- advanced security features (e.g. handling when
someone's trying to hack a pwd, save yourself! from Twitter's recent
celeb hack embarassment), usability enhancements (ooh  aah)

Please come and Kick the Tires... and tell us what you really think!

http://www.adrianremembersme.com/

http://code.google.com/p/adrianremembersme/

http://adrianremembersme.appspot.com/

recruiting developers, soon will be posting bounties for little
upgrades... great code for new developers to start poking around with!

---
i couldn't find anything else that really provided all this in one
bundle, according to most current best practices, etc. we can put
together a django version of this at some point too...