"Is Google's perpetual beta a winning strategy?"
http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:ApYmZkCJSmkJ:news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10054293-16.html+Google+beta+strategy&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk
[...]
We have very high internal metrics our consumer products have to meet
before coming out of beta. Our teams continue to work to improve these
products and provide users with an even better experience. We believe
beta has a different meaning when applied to applications on the Web,
where people expect continual improvements in a product....Rather than
the packaged, stagnant software of decades past, we're moving to a
world of regular updates and constant feature refinement where
applications live in the cloud.
[...]
Regardless, the real story in this as with Microsoft is that
regardless of its successes or failures with products, any hint of
Google entering a market is a death knell for start-ups looking to
raise money in that area, when it really shouldn't be. Their
respective track records in their core businesses is awesome to
behold. Their respective track records in most everything else?
Nothing to fret about.
-
-
-