hey richard,

I haven't tried this out, but here's an idea:

For your login link use:
=================
real_destination = link_to_current_page
statistics_dest = link_to_statistics_page+"?
real_destination="+real_destination
create_login_url(statistics_dest)

Then run your script to get ip and other information and update to
database
see this question:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/3f79c80e68fd372a?hl=en#

finally go to the real_destination
self.redirect(self.request.get('real_destination'))

I'm new to python/appengine myself, so the above pseudo code is just a
guess on my part.