Hello pbr,
I implemented a ACL system a couple of days ago, ported from a system
I use in php. The idea is similar to what you described - access rules
are defined for an user or can be grouped in roles. Users can have one
or more roles, and individual access rules can override or extend
these roles. Here's a quick paste:

http://paste.pocoo.org/show/110555/

This is just a storage system and interface to check permissions. You
need to tie it to the objects you want to restrict access (handlers
and/or models) using decorators or other methods.

Let me know if it helps or if you have ideas to improve it.

-- rodrigo