In http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas.html

it states:

"On May 25th, 2009, along with many performance improvements, we will
be reducing the free quota levels for the billable quotas. App Engine
will always remain free to get started. We believe these new levels
will continue to serve a reasonably efficient application around 5
million page views per month, completely free.

"The new free quota levels to take effect on May 25th will be as
follows:

    * CPU Time: 6.5 hours of CPU time per day
    * Bandwidth: 1 gigabyte of data transferred in and out of the
application per day"

But how is 1G transfer per day possibly enough to serve "around 5
million page views per month, completely free"?

A typical web page is about 50K per page. 1 G per day is therefore
about 20,000 page views per day.

In the perfect case, the traffic pattern is perfectly uniformly
distributed over the month and each day has the same traffic.

In that perfect scenario, the free quota is enough for 30*20,000 =
600,000 page views per month.

That's a lot less than the 5 million page views per month claimed in
the documentation.