I considered the GTalk gadget, but that won't really facilitate group
chatting within the website. It's a great way to make available chat
to anyone visiting the page, but you'd still need people to share
their email in order to chat with each other. One solution, however,
that is promising is meebo chat rooms that you can embed on your site.
They allow anyone visiting to chat in the room without needing to
register... and meebo handles all traffic.

In light of recent news, it would also be nifty if Google bought
Twitter and allowed easy integration of Twitter into Google App
Engine. Granted, Twitter has some great APIs....