I'm having trouble with non-printing "trash" characters forcing a gap
at the top of my page. In "view source" they look like two small side-
by-side dashes at the top of the page. This happens both with the SDK
and online.

HTTP analysis shows three UTF-8 BOMs at the beginning of the page.
Coincidently, there are three UTF-8 html files involved in creating
the page.

The first line of html-1 is: {% extends "html-2" %}
The first line of html-2 is: {% extends "html-3" %}
The first line of HTML-3 is: {# {% spaceless %} #}

The first thing in the page <head> is this:

Converting two or more of the html files to 8-bit ansi encoding
removes the problem characters and the gap. Problem solved.

Is GAE causing this?