How about we come up with some standard test cases that can easily be
run under gae
that we can try a few of the different template engines and compare
like for like
(where possible) taking into account start up times and any possible
caching,.

I am using zpt it if I take startup time out of the equation and just
look at rendering a page with details
from about 20 entities takes about 250 ms.

Not very useful for comparison for anyone else, as whatever I am doing
isn't likely to be that same as other people ;-)