Hello,
I have been pulling my hair out lately over the app and import caching
that occurs in App Engine/Python.  This page (http://code.google.com/
appengine/docs/python/runtime.html#App_Caching) was very useful in
working out that not only does Python cache imported modules, but also
that App Engine caches main handler scripts after the first run.

Finally, all that confusing behavior is explained and I can sleep
again!  :)

I just wanted to post a link to my solution here because I'm sure a
few more people may run into this same behavior.  I used a combination
of reload() and main() manipulation to achieve an easy way to define
the modules that I want reloaded and to stop app caching while I'm
working locally.

http://appengine-cookbook.appspot.com/recipe/disable-app-and-import-caching/?id=ahJhcHBlbmdpbmUtY29va2Jvb2tyjwELEgtSZWNpcGVJbmRleCI4YWhKaGNIQmxibWRwYm1VdFkyOXZhMkp2YjJ0eUZBc1NDRU5oZEdWbmIzSjVJZ1pRZVhSb2IyNE0MCxIGUmVjaXBlIjphaEpoY0hCbGJtZHBibVV0WTI5dmEySnZiMnR5RkFzU0NFTmhkR1ZuYjNKNUlnWlFlWFJvYjI0TTEzDA

If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know.