I just wrote this to fix a similar problem. Hopefully it helps you.

In your code, use _urlfetch2() instead of urlfetch.fetch().

def _urlfetch2(url, payload, method, headers):
        for count in range(20):
                try:
                        return urlfetch.fetch(
                                url=url,
                                payload=payload,
                                method=method,
                                headers=headers
                        )
                except:
                        pass

                raise Exception, 'Could not reach %s' % url